Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Viva il Papa!

Pope Francis I appears on the central balcony of Saint Peter's
Photo Credit:  Peter Macdiarmid/ Getty Images
Photo Obtained From http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2013/mar/13/pope-francis-life-in-pictures#/?picture=405548058&index=0
No Copyright Infringement Intended
I know very little about Pope Francis I, but my first impressions are very positive.  I like the fact that he is a Jesuit and that, while Ignatius might correspondingly have been an obvious choice (Saint Ignatius of Loyola founded the Jesuit order on September 27, 1540), he selected the name Francis.  The fact that he has a degree in chemistry shows that he is a man of science in addition to being a man - the man - of faith.  Initial analysis reveals that his lifestyle as a Cardinal in Buenos Aires, Argentina, was not one of opulence, but of humility, and his first appearance on the world stage seemed to be consistent with that.

The Catholic Church has a great many matters to consider going forward,  and while each of those has overwhelming importance, I want to focus upon today as a day for celebration - and hope.  Please join me in wishing Pope Francis I every success in leading the world's 1.1 billion Catholics.  

Comments will not be allowed for this entry.