Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sheer Plandemonium

President Abraham Lincoln, "The Great Emancipator"
Daguerreotype Taken November 8, 1863
Alexander Gardner (1821 - 1882)
Library of Congress Digital File cph.3a53289
http://www.britannica.com/bps/media-view/112498/1/0/0
Although a conspiracy plot ultimately carried out by John Wilkes Booth prematurely and tragically ended the life of one of our nation's greatest presidents, Abraham Lincoln led a life and left a legacy that have secured him virtual immortality.  His measures ensured that our country would be restored after the bitter and divisive Civil War.  With his Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln extended the promise of freedom to over three million slaves and forged the path toward the thirteenth amendment to the Constitution, outlawing slavery in the United States altogether.

As such, Lincoln is known as "The Great Emancipator."

My personal accomplishments have been microscopic in comparison, but more than likely, so have yours.  To the best of my knowledge, Nelson Mandela and Lech Wałęsa do not read  my blog on a regular basis.  (Confidential to Mister Wałęsa:  Dziękuję.)

One Sharpened Pencil Among Unsharpened Ones
http://www.visualphotos.com/....

In spite of this, we all have our strengths, and one of mine is planning.  I like to anticipate needs and be able to fulfill them completely or defer an activity until I am better prepared.  You might say that I am "The Great Anticipator."

This involves a combination of personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and research.  Take a party, for example:  no one wants to run out of food, but on the other hand, it doesn't do any good to have an overwhelming amount of leftovers either.  Other considerations to take into account might be:  does anyone on the guest list have specific dietary requirements, whether due to allergies or religious observations?  Are there enough places for people to sit?
 
As I wrote in my entry dated March 20 though, quoting Robert Burns,

The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley.
A Hansen Family Dinner
There appears to be sufficient seating for everyone
Davey and Goliath
http://www.daveyandgoliath.org/images/....
No Copyright Infringement Intended

As is the way of the world, no amount of planning can take into account the sorts of things that happen at every occasion.  Someone is sick.  Perhaps someone had a little bit too much to drink.  Maybe an unexpected guest comes.  Any number of things can go wrong, and sometimes we need to remind ourselves that "a good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow."  Too much planning can lead to a sort of social paralysis, and it can also lead to disappointment when events take an unexpected turn.

When I was married, I would often find myself on a Tuesday making plans for the upcoming Saturday.  Where would we go?  What would we do?  How early would we have to leave?  As the weekend drew ever nearer, I would become increasingly excited, only to wake up on Saturday morning to find my bride wanting to sleep in.  It was reminiscent of my childhood, when I would want to do things on a Sunday, only to be thwarted by the Minnesota Vikings.  As a direct result of that, I have had a lifelong distaste for football, and for sports in general, but that is finally starting to subside.  So too is my dependence upon the sleep habits of others.  If I want to go somewhere and do something fun, I go!

Are you a planner, or are you more of a spontaneous person?  Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment