Saturday, March 9, 2013

Some Things Never Change

He Started It
http://cutestuff.co/2012/02/he-started-it/
No Copyright Infringement Intended
Sometimes, people for whom I have a great deal of respect do the silliest things....

I spend a great deal of time with senior citizens, and as with any other age group, it is occasionally the case that the topic of conversation will turn to a disagreement that one of them had with a neighbor.

In my opinion, this is perfectly understandable.  We all have people with whom we just can't seem to get along for some reason.  Maybe he's too loud.  Maybe she speaks too softly.  Some people interrupt stories, while others just.  don't.  stop.  talking!

Wikipedia defines term argument as follows:   "In logic and philosophy, an argument is an attempt to persuade someone of something, by giving reasons for accepting a particular conclusion as evident."

Now, I enjoy a good exchange of thoughts and will myself be the first person who will take a Devil's Advocate position.  Far too often though, the arguments about which I hear are mostly about a contest of wills.  If someone tries to pull me into the raging controversy of the moment, I will listen to the "facts," and then tell them that I have no interest in participating in any contests.
I Have to Have the Last Word
http://iloveprettykeli.com/....
No Copyright Infringement Intended

Occasionally, I will witness one of these verbal donnybrooks take place first hand, and something that starts out with a solid foundation can degrade into the forensic equivalent of a Three Stooges slap-a-thon, with one party who seems to have an unquenchable thirst for the last word.

My obvious misunderstanding was that this sort of thing was restricted to seven-year-olds and those who need to fight turf wars, such as the homeless people whom I used to serve when I worked for a faith-based non-profit organization.
Did You Accomplish What You Came For?
http://www.e-nor.com/blog/web-analytics/....
No Copyright Infringement Intended

It seems as though people have a lifelong need to be "correct," even when that compromises what it means to be "right," and that just makes me sad.

I just want to ask people:

1)  What was your goal?
2)  What did that accomplish?
3)  Could you have handled it differently?
4)  How would you like it if someone had treated you like that?

...and sometimes, I do - with little success.  Very few people like to be challenged.

Other times, I just leave the room for a few minutes and allow things to work themselves out on their own... and then I hear about it later anyway.

Do you find this to be the case?  How do you handle it?  Please feel free to leave you comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment