Saturday, March 16, 2013

Taking Action Instead of Just Complaining

Snow Plow in Washington, D.C. photographed April 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowplow
Public Domain
The snow plowing on the street on which my Mom lives has been sub-par this year, but because of a combination of complicated weather patterns and residents who have consistently not complied with regulations to move their vehicles during snow emergencies, I can not place all of the blame onto our Public Works Department.  Believe me, I have called them after every snowfall this year to complain about the conditions, but all of the conversations have ended with me saying "I completely understand.  Thank you for your time."  Thinking that taking the argument to the citizenry will have some influence, I sent a letter to our local newspaper's editor, in the hopes that she will publish it.  

Here is a copy of the letter.  In the interest of my own privacy, I have changed some of the street names.  It goes without saying that the version I sent to the editor identified the actual locations.

~~~~~~~~~~          ~~~~~~~~~~          ~~~~~~~~~~          ~~~~~~~~~~

My Vehicle Parked at an Angle on 03/16/2013
The plowing in some parts of Black River Falls has been inconsistent with the quality to which I have become accustomed over the fifteen or so years that members of my family and/ or I have lived here. Two specific areas that I have in mind are some spots on East Main Street between South Roosevelt  Road and Winnebago Avenue, as well as North 6th Street between Monroe and Harrison Streets.

It is my understanding that the first snowfall of the season set the stage for significant problems, as a thick ice layer formed, making it difficult to clear the streets effectively.  I applaud our city's Public Works Department for their efforts in the face of these complications; however, as subsequent snowfalls have fallen, the concept of "curb-to-curb" plowing has become less and less of a reality.  On North 6th Street, I find myself having to park either far outside the solid white line demarcating the parking lane or positioning my vehicle at an ever-increasing angle. 

The Vehicle Parked Behind Me on 03/16/2013
Note that its position is significantly outside the parking lane.
Responsibility for this does not fall solely upon our public servants, however, as some members of  the public themselves have not moved their vehicles during snowfalls, necessitating that plows go around them, leaving snow to accumulate and compact.

We must work in partnership with each other and with our governmental service providers in order to create something  that is not just a place to live, but that is a community.  When individuals act outside of that goal, it compromises the quality of life both for themselves and for others.

I hope that the winter of 2012 - 2013 is an anomaly in this regard, and that we can all conduct ourselves with a greater good in mind throughout the future.

~~~~~~~~~~          ~~~~~~~~~~          ~~~~~~~~~~          ~~~~~~~~~~

One of my Mom's neighbors writes letters to the editor quite frequently, and almost all of the time, he just comes off like an angry and confused elderly man. I, on the other hand, tried to be respectful in my approach and indicate that there is a shared responsibility in this matter.

Have you ever written a letter to the editor?  Was it published?  Did you spark a conversation?  Do you read the editorials in your local newspaper(s)?  In this age of online interaction, do you even buy the newspaper anymore?  Please feel free to share your comments below.


2 comments:

  1. I have never written a letter to any editor since my idea for a children's section was rejected by the Editor of the Durham Herald in 1988. These days, I prefer getting my news in mass quantities via the many websites.... I hope that they will improve on their street-cleaning abilities in your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mermaid Morrigan! I hope so too. The calendar is on my side though, as the snowy season should be over soon. *Fingers crossed*

    What a shame that your creativity was denied. Who knows how many people would have been positively impacted by such a section!

    I am pleased to say that my Letter to the Editor has a Flesch-Kincaid reading level of 13.8, and that is something you just don't see in so much online commentary. There is so much hate-baiting online. It's really ridiculous, primarily because of the anonymity, whereas the newspaper requires my full name, address, and telephone number. Additionally, I can't spam the newspaper, because they have submission limits - a maximum of six letters per year with a minimum of four weeks between letters.

    I enjoy exercising these opportunities... judiciously. Thank you for your input.

    ReplyDelete