Tuesday, December 11, 2012

You Are the Olive of My Eye

My blog updates over the course of the past few days have been of a decidedly less-than-jovial bent:  a falling-out with a family member, several challenging life events occurring almost simultaneously, homelessness and death, gun violence, et cetera.  While each of those matters was - and continues to be - important to me, it is crucial on occasion to take stock of the lighter things in life as well.

Given an extremely humbling comparison to the late English humorist P. G. Wodehouse and an introduction to Triberr - The Reach Multiplier, this may be bad timing for a fluff post, but so it goes.

Green Olives with Pimientos
http://www.allposters.co.uk/....
No Copyright Infringement Intended
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the olive, specifically, the pimiento-stuffed green olive and its equally delicious cousin, the black olive.

Please note my preferred spelling of the word pimiento, p-i-m-i-e-n-t-o, with an  "i" after the "m."  Correspondingly, I also pronounce the word "pih-MYEHN-toh."  I also pronounce the word "Wednesday" as "wɛdənzdeɪ."  Pronunciation taken from   Wiktionary.

But I digress.

In 2008, I was looking for a new living arrangement after having lived with two brothers for two years.  My Mom, as well as my sister and her family, live in a northeastern suburb of Saint Paul, about one mile away from each other, and even though I get along with all of them famously, it was my intent to live in Minneapolis.

My Mom hosts a craft day at her apartment complex on the last Saturday of every month, and my sister, her family, and I are always invited to attend.  It might be important to understand that food is just as much a foundation of the event as any crafting is, so I thought "You know, I have never seen a black olive with a pimiento.  I think I'll make some and serve them at craft day!"

Black Olives - Completely Pimiento-less!
http://calolive.org/
No Copyright Infringement Intended
Dromedary Sliced Pimientos
http://www.grocerycouponnetwork.com/...
No Copyright Infringement Intended
With black olives, pimientos, rubber gloves, and toothpicks in hand, I set about my task and made small works of art on par with, dare I say, Leonardo da Vinci, or at the very least, Leonardo DiCaprio.

On craft day itself, I went to make sure that my mini-masterpieces would, in fact, be served, and on the way, I passed an apartment complex that had units that were available and open for showing.  Since I was highly motivated to find a new place to live, it was essential for me to check out all of my options.  A man named Bill showed me an apartment, and the rest, as they say, is history.  I moved in on September 1st, 2008.

As far as I am concerned, my current home is due all to pimiento-stuffed black olives.

Have you ever done something that seemed silly at first, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions  you ever made?  Please tell me about it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment