Friday, December 14, 2012

A Tremendous Honor from a Wonderful Friend

Yule Blessings
All songs performed by Cindy Rhodes
http://www.mermaidmansion.com/
Photo Provided by Ms Rhodes and Used with Permission
As mentioned in my entry dated November 26, "You like... what exactly?," I discussed my affinity for mermaids.

One of the most rewarding relationships that has sprung from this has been with a woman named Cindy Rhodes, aka Mermaid Morrigan.  On or about August 6, 2011, I posted a question in a mermaid discussion group, asking about interacting with mermaids when meeting them in person.

Again, this is in reference to adult human women who wear mermaid tails or who otherwise identity with the spirit of the ocean and her bountiful gifts.  As a point of reference, my enjoyment of fantasy extends beyond mermaids.  For example, I thoroughly enjoy going to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival and talking with performance artists such as Ivy the Faun and the inimitable Twig the Fairy.  As you can imagine, single, childless men in their forties are not exactly the target audience for these performers, but there is just something about them that bring me a great deal of joy.

In response to my question (which was not entirely well-received within the group), Ms Rhodes contacted me privately and essentially told me to be myself.  We corresponded intermittently for a few months, and then officially became friends on 11/29/2011, less than an hour before my birthday.  Over the course of the past year, we have chatted on an almost daily basis, and although we have not met in person - yet - I consider her to be one of my best friends.

Among a wealth of other things, Cindy plays a hammered dulcimer named "Persephone," and she recently recorded a CD called Yule Blessings (pictured).  As she prepared the work, we discussed song selections, and she even let me hear a few samples before putting everything together.

When she told me that she was going to dedicate the CD both to me and to her recently deceased friend David Drake, I was overwhelmed with emotion.  It is really something that strains my ability to express just exactly what an honor this is.

The song selections are as follows:

Greensleeves                                  Il es nĂ©, le divin Enfant
O Come, Emmanuel                        I Saw Three Ships A-Sailing
Gaudette                                        God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
The Holly and the Ivy                       Good King Wenceslas
Coventry Carol                                 Carol of the Bells
Ding Dong Merrily on High                We Wish You a Merry Christmas
Joy to the World

For me, the CD is a celebration both of the season and of friendship.

Thank you, Cindy, from the bottom of my heart.  I love you!


EDIT:  In my haste to write this update this morning, I failed to mention the fact that this is not the first time that Cindy Rhodes has produced media for me.  On 07/27/2011, I wrote to her on her Mermaid Morrigan fan page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermaid-Morrigan/131495653537891) "...It is so hard to find high-quality (and relatively short - say 90 seconds or less) 'happy birthday' videos.  Would you ever be interested in making one?"  On August 4 (which, coincidentally, is my late father's birthday), Cindy posted this video to YouTube:  
You, gentle reader, have had a positive impact on others, maybe in ways that you didn't understand at first, and maybe in ways that you will never know.  If someone has had an impact on you, do whatever it is you crazy kids do nowadays - Skype, E-mail, Instagram, what have you - and let them know.

Who has had an impact on you?  A teacher?  A member of the clergy?  A neighbor or co-worker?  How did you let them know?  Please feel to tell me about it in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Matthew, I am honored beyond words. Your friendship continues to be a source of joy for me every single day. Even your own dad's version of "Bring (Some Porridge)" lol plays thru my head every morning as I prepare my oatmeal and fruit. You've made an impact in MY life, a positive one. THANK YOU! <3 <3 <3 Love and blessings to you each and EVERY day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy - Please see my edit above. I forgot to mention the "Happy Birthday" video!

      I can't begin to thank you enough.

      Delete