Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Still holding onto the dream....

http://filmfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/12/casablanca.html
The Powerball Lottery held on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 had an estimated jackpot of just shy of $580 million.  The winning numbers were 5, 16, 22, 23, 29, and the Powerball number was 6.

I did not win, but if I had....

Let me say first that I would definitely help out some non-profit organizations, perhaps help some for-profit companies to resolve some labor disputes, as well as help out family and friends, of course.  There is a noble pursuit involved with having so much money.

Then there is influence.  With real money, perhaps I could have a substantive and lasting impact on an issue such as the annual dolphin hunt in Taiji, Japan.

This is all in reference to what I call "crazy money."  Obviously, $1 million would be more than enough to make me happy and allow me to be generous to people who are close to me, but it wouldn't go very far in an international activism campaign.

http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/sasabe-chapel#slide=50490821
So, back to the $580 million.... What would be my "He did WHAT" moment?  It's easy.  For as long as I can remember, it has been a dream of mine to find film historians and architects who could build exact, full-scale  replicas of Rick's CafĂ© AmĂ©ricain from 1942's Casablanca and the chapel from 1963's Lilies of the Field.  The chapel in the photo reportedly served as the inspiration for the one in the movie.  The lead characters in those movies worked toward a greater good at great personal risk, and they were abundantly successful in their goals.  The idea of having - and sharing - those representations of nobility means a great deal to me.

Let's face it though - this is a very unlikely possibility, so it is my responsibility and my honor to work toward any number of "greater goods" with my current gifts.  I hope for success in those pursuits and wish the same for you in yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment