Friday, November 23, 2012

A "wrong number" that turned out to be the right thing

In early 2004, I was still reeling from the death of my father, who passed away on December 18, 2003 at the age of 58.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/locations/north-suburban-blood-donation-center
On January 7, 2004 I saw the Law & Order episode "Darwinian," which prompted me to volunteer with a faith-based non-profit homeless shelter, where I served food and distributed blankets to both men and women at least once every week for thirty months, ultimately turning that volunteer position into an employment opportunity.

Shortly after watching the aforementioned television program, I received a telephone call from the American Red Cross, and the associate there was looking for someone who could no longer be reached at the number.  In addition to providing the correct new telephone number for the intended party, I also volunteered to become a blood donor myself.  The rest, as they say, is history.  With only a few exceptions, I have donated like clockwork every eight weeks since February 11, 2004.  Today marked my fifty-fifth donation, potentially saving as many as 165 lives over the course of the last nine years.  My next appointment is scheduled for January 18, 2013, and that will mark the donation of seven gallons.

I believe that you would agree with my assertion:  that was one good "wrong number" call, if ever there were one.

As indicated on http://www.redcrossblood.org/, The need is constant.  The gratification is instant.  Give blood.

Thank you for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment