Monday, September 30, 2013

Renaissance Man

Gates of the Minnesota Renaissance Festival
Going to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival has been a lifelong favorite pastime for me.  I can remember going as a young "playtron" when I was about ten years old or so, dressed as Robin Hood.  Throughout the years since, I have gone with family, friends, and by myself.  Saturday (09/28/2013) was an instance in which I went alone.

King Henry and Queen Elizabeth
From an early age, I learned about the added fun of getting to the Festival before the gates even open.  Given the distance from my home (approximately fifty miles) and the early-for-a-Saturday start time (9:00 AM), it is a true test of resolve to get there early - and it is often a hard sell when arranging to go with others - but it always worth it for me.  There is always a bit of theater that takes place at that time, with the pretense that some machination will result in the gates being opened early.  The exchange between the patrons and the performers consists of some good-natured ribbing, as well as the occasional double entendre.

When people ask me what I like about the Festival, it is not necessarily the artisans and their various wares, many of the stage shows, or most of the food.  What then could possibly be the draw, you ask?  I enjoy certain specific entertainers, such as the belly dancers and the acrobats, as well as the royal court.  My biggest source of enjoyment, however, are the mythological creatures - Bitto Behavin (a gnome)Ivy the FaunTia the Dryad, and several others, but most of all, Twig the Fairy and the new-in-2012 Mermaid Cove.

Due to rain, I was unable to take as many photos as I normally would, but here are a few highlights:


With Twig the Fairy.  She is autographing her book
"Twig the Fairy and the Goblin Masquerade"
With Mermaid Ambrosia

With Nadira Cuddlefish
I love the play on "cuddlefish."

With Zelah, Queen of the Mermaids

Zelah is actually a friend of mine from the entertainment community, and I was extremely excited to see her as the Queen of the Mermaids.  She even gave me a "kiss," which consisted of applying glitter to my nose.

All of the mermaid tails were made by a company called Finfolk Productions, operated by twin sisters, and I had the distinct pleasure of talking with one of them.

I also want to give special recognition to a woman named Kathleen Johnson, aka Mistress Kathleen, who is a hammered dulcimer player.  I have a dear friend named Cindy who also plays the hammered dulcimer, and came to know her through the Facebook mermaid community via her Mermaid Morrigan fan page.  Although Cindy and I have never met in person, we have talked on the phone a few times, and we have exchanged messages frequently.  She and her husband, Pirate Sam, are wonderful people.  By connecting with Ms Johnson, I feel as though I am also somehow connecting with Cindy on some level.

Upon leaving the Festival, I updated Facebook with a status that began "A rainy, windy, and cold day at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival is better than staying at home any day of the week, and twice on Saturday."  It truly is one of the highlights of my entire year.

Do you have a festival, fair, or other event that you have been attending for years, even decades?  Have you ever gone under another persona, such as when I went as Robin Hood?  Have you had the opportunity to become friendly with people who remember you, in spite of the fact that you see each other once a year, and you each see hundreds, if not thousands, of people in the interim?  Please share your experiences in the comments below.  I would love to read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment