Monday, January 7, 2013

Win a Valentine's Day Dream Date with Matthew!


Kristin Chenoweth
http://www.justjared.com/....
No Copyright Infringement Intended
I consider myself quite charmed (and let's be honest, charming - and modest) on occasion.  Over the course of the past two years, it has been my fortune to win tickets to see productions of Avenue Q and Arms and the Man, concerts by Celtic Woman and Kristin Chenoweth, a preview screening of the movie The Immortals,  and a comedy show put on by the team of Williams and Ree, as well as to win - or otherwise be gifted, because of my devoted following to the distributor, performer, or venue - restaurant gift cards, books, CDs, DVDs, and free or reduced admissions to various events.

There is just one small "problem," if you even want to call it that, which is the fact that I am single.  One becomes accustomed to circumstances, so it usually doesn't bother me in the slightest to go alone to a movie, dinner, stage show, et cetera.  My thinking is "If I don't go alone, then I won't go at all."  Many  times,  I run into people and wind up joining them anyway, but in the event that I don't, that's okay too.  This is my version of "normal"; however, when I have two tickets to an event, that means, for lack of a better phrase, that I need to find a date.

Harvey Johnson, as played by Peter Menefee
Bye Bye Birdie (Columbia Pictures, 1963)
Screenshot from YouTube, cropped without permission
No Copyright Infringement Intended
As I have mentioned in previous entries, this is not exactly my strong suit, but I venture forth and ask people if they would be interested in joining me, with varying degrees of success.  It becomes my own version of "The Telephone Hour" scene from 1963's screen adaptation of Bye Bye Birdie, wherein I play the role of Harvey Johnson.  "Penelope?  About the prom....  Saturday?"  There have been a few occasions where I have gone with someone whom I have known my entire life - my Mom.  She thoroughly enjoyed the Kristin Chenoweth show, so I was glad to take her.

Of course, free shows are not my only source of entertainment.  Many nights throughout the course of any given month will find me watching an 80's band, getting together with friends, or (*gasp*) staying at home.

The Midnight Muse Burlesque Show
Promotional Poster for July 2012 Show
Used with Permission
I also see a number of burlesque shows every month.  These are exclusively in the Twin Cities, with one highly notable exception.  One of my friends uses the stage name "Musette the Mistress of Mischief," and she produces The Midnight Muse show at the Wicked Moose Bar and Grill in Rochester, which is located about ninety miles away from my home in White Bear Lake. I am always impressed by the award-winning talent that she brings in from across the nation for her shows.  Her July 2012 show, for example, featured performers from Chicago, Dallas, Minneapolis and New York.  It was absolutely incredible, and each show since has been equally entertaining.  This has motivated me to write reviews for her shows on more than one occasion, such as this one from a few months ago:

With a little bit of brass and a whole lot of sass, the Midnight Muse show at the Wicked Moose promises an evening of entertainment for both men and women. Rochester’s own Musette the Mistress of Mischief uses her clout within the burlesque community to bring in a variety of award-winning acts.  I challenge anyone to find as enjoyable an evening for only $7.00. The audience never quite knows what to expect next – belly dancing, fan dancing, singing, hula hoops, pole fitness, a bed of nails.… I give it all an “A” (with a little bit of “T” thrown in for good measure.)  I am really looking forward to seeing what Musette has in store next!"

To express her appreciation for my most recent recommendation, Musette has generously offered me two complimentary tickets to her next show, which is scheduled for February 14.  This means that I need an out-of-town date for Valentine's Day.  

The first thing that occurred to me was "Win a Dream Date with Ox," the cover story from one of the magazines (specifically, Tiger Beat) featured in the final scene of 1981's Stripes.  So, with that in mind, I offer the following:  Win a Valentine's Day Dream Date with Matthew!
C'est Moi

The details are as follows:

-I would be happy to pick you up at the location of your choosing, and then drive to Rochester and back in the same evening.  

-Tickets for two to an incredible show.  I do not which performers are scheduled to appear that evening, but I can promise that they will be amazing!

-There will also be a dinner served before the show, catered by Tilly's Tavern Original Catering and served buffet-style.  I am not aware of the dinner menu as of this writing, but again, Tilly's does not disappoint.  (Please note that the complimentary tickets do not extend to the dinner portion of the show, but I would be happy to make the necessary arrangements to make that possible.)

-The opportunity to meet the performers after the show, and the *possibility* to be photographed with one or more of them by my friends from Southern Touch Photography.

Would YOU like to join me? (Of course, we already need to be friends.)

Have you ever been in a similar position, where you wanted to go out with someone, and there was already special significance attached to the calendar date or to the occasion?  Perhaps you won tickets to an event on New Year's Eve or Thanksgiving.  Maybe you wanted someone to go with you to a wedding, class reunion, or a work function.  How did you handle it?  Did you ask someone to go as a friend?  Did you just go alone?  Did you  you decide not go at all?  I sure hope that was not the case!

Please share your experiences in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment